Saturday, October 1, 2011

Greeting October

Hello October,


My beloved, my wonderful friend! Where have you been all year? Hiding under rocks and in caves and in the shade of trees. I've been smelling your wonderful arrival all week. I've got to say, September made a glorious exit and you've got some big shoes to fill. I suppose September just wanted me to like him as much as I like you. We'll see, won't we, October?

September said good bye with a thunderstorm that shook foundations and heavy rain followed by sunshine and blue skies, proving that to every raincloud there's a silver lining. September ended brilliant sunset of baby pinks, peaches and purples. Its moon was a huge silver bracelet in the heavens. It finished with a musical full of singing and color and joy and life.

But October! You're here, after being away so long. Let's curl up on a sofa in a coffeehouse somewhere and chat about Octobers long past. Let's make butternut squash soup and plan our Jack O' Lanterns. Let's carve pumpkins all month long. Let's walk hand in hand and stomp on only the crunchiest of leaves. Let's watch the rain fall outside. Let's jump in puddles and get our pants wet up to our knees. Let's watch scary movies and scream together when we know the ax murderer is going to pop out. Let's watch the classics. Let's watch Frankenstein, Phantom, Dr. Jekll and Mr. Hyde, and Nosferatu all in dramatic black and white.

Oh we'll have fun, won't we, you and I?

Come, let's munch on candy while we wait for the Trick or Treaters... I hope they walk as slow as their little feet can carry them. 

No comments: